Crawl does not work it throws an error "parameter incorrect" on the SSP.
Effected area is search and alerts:
If you will add number of users/groups directly in SharePoint portal 2007 and number of users/groups will exceed more than 2000 then your search and alert will be affected. Because SharePoint 2007 product treat each users and groups as an single object and only 2000 direct user are supported.
User Limitation on SharePoint Web site:
- It recommended that we have 2000 User per web site, this is because the ACL sized
limit which is 64 KB. Users in groups 2 million per Web site You can add millions
of people to your Web site by using Microsoft Windows security groups to manage
security instead of using individual users.
- The size of the access control list is limited to a few thousand security
principals (users and groups in the Web site). In fact it is the site collection.
Resolved the crawl issue with parameter incorrect error with the following fix.
1.Add users to an AD group.(Make sure this does not exceed 1000 to reduce performance issues later)
2.Then make sure the combination of the users and groups added to the site does not exceed 1000.
3.So let’s consider you have 1000 users in an AD group and you are going to add 100 such groups to the site, so in the end you shall have about 1000*100= 100000 users accessing the site. (however indirectly you have just added 100 groups on SharePoint Site)
Additional Information and Recommendations
• ACL Limit- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953132
• Microsoft Cloud Services - http://www.microsoft.com/cloud/
• Database maintenance (Office SharePoint Server 2007) - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc825329(office.12).aspx
• Index for Stsadm operations and properties - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263384(office.12).aspx
• Back up, restore, or move a SharePoint site - http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-designer-help/back-up-restore-or-move-a-sharepoint-site-HA010069939.aspx
I often create sites in one environment and then want to recreate them in another. Easiest way I've found is to save the site as a template (remember to tick to include content) and then use the template on your new environment to create the site.
Problem is I can't find the 'Save site as template' link in SharePoint 2010. You need to reactive the 'Publishing' feature for your site, then the option reveals itself in 'Site actions' under 'Site settings'.